Sunday, July 18, 2010

July 16: The Little Things in Life

Friday afternoon was a time to test my emotions!

Joel had barely recovered from his hand injury when he wanted to go back to playing football in school. I suggested he start on Monday and give the injured hand more time to heal but he insisted he was in great shape and rolled his wrist as proof.

In the afternoon, Mareena calls to inform that Joel has a nasty fall while playing football and that he had a deep cut on his forehead. Disobedience pays? How should I react? What do I tell Joel when I meet him in school?

Shame & embarrassment was clearly etched on Joel's face, the nurse in the dispensary had done some first aid. Apparently a senior had shoved him while playing football and Joel had a bad fall. After few agonizing moments in the hospital and 6 stitches to his forehead Joel & I were back home but not before eating a cone of ice-cream each.

Initially, I was deeply affected and was keen on taking the senior student to task for his behavior but as time went by the realization that these are normal for a growing child took over my emotions. Friends who met us said the same thing 'such things are normal', 'he is a growing boy, it is natural', and that helped a long way. Later Joel's class teacher called to check and that was a great gesture too.

No comments: